The oldest church in Porto is about 1000 years old, but has been profusely cleaned up by the State around 1930. They expurgated all the previous centuries’ additions, demolishing a cloister, narthex and tower, while rebuilding a large part and turning it into another austere, stark building of a style much loved by the regime.
These days we can only admire it as it is, for the more or less vernacular accretions will never return. It is still a wonderful piece of minimalist “Romanesque” (or even Suevian) interpretation. More History here.