A Bank that is no more has now been turned into a museum. The crisp murals shown date from the 1950s when it was still a bank and was given a “modernist” makeover. The architect was Cristino da Silva, who was as modern as the Estado Novo would allow, and was involved in the gargantuan Coimbra University campus and some other monumental squares and buildings in Lisbon.
The “Overseas Bank” is well represented by a merchant ship and the symbols of the colonies. The original building was a Pombaline structure erected after the 1755 earthquake and has since been altered considerably as it changed hands. Today it retains its 1950s/60s façade and a spectacular underground vault, and most everything else is left in rough concrete.
Ex- Banco Nacional Ultramarino, currently MUDE – Museu do Design e da Moda, Lisboa